(Last updated November 17, 2022)
This Notice describes our practices regarding personal information. This Notice applies to our websites and mobile applications that link to this Notice, and to our other interactions with you where this Notice is provided. This Notice does not apply to websites, applications or other points of contact that have a different privacy notice posted or otherwise available. In addition, this Notice does not apply to our consumer insurance products. If you are an individual covered by, or applying for, an insurance product issued by Assurant, please refer to our Privacy Notice for insurance products available here.
- Information that We Collect
- How Long We Keep Personal Information
- Why We Collect Personal Information and How We Use It
- Disclosure of Personal Information to Others
- Data Technologies
- Email and Text Communications
- Your Targeted Advertising Options
- Your Privacy Rights
- How to Exercise Your Privacy Rights
- Request Metrics
- Protection of Personal Information
- APEC Participation
- Updates to this Notice
- Contact Us
Information that We Collect
Categories of Personal Information
The personal information that we collect about a specific individual, and the sources we use to collect that personal information, will depend on our relationship or interaction with that individual. During the past twelve (12) months, we have collected the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers, such as name, date of birth, postal address, email addresses, social security number, state identification or driver’s license number, passport number, other personal information that may be found on police reports or affidavits (if such items are needed for claim processing), and other similar identifiers.
- Personal information as defined in the California customer records law, such as signature, telephone number, insurance policy or contract number, health or medical information, and financial information such as account number and balance, payment card details including credit and debit card numbers.
- Characteristics of Protected Classifications under state or federal law, such as sex, race, or marital status.
- Commercial Information, such as products and services obtained and transaction histories. Depending on the product or service you have with Assurant or a party with whom Assurant has a business relationship, this
may include information about:
- Insurance policies and service plans (such as policy/plan number and coverage details) and associated claims.
- A device, equipment, or consumer product related to an Assurant product or service (such as vehicle identification number and other vehicle information, a mobile device international mobile equipment identifier (IMEI) and other device information, or details about a connected device or household product).
- Residential or commercial property you own or rent.
- Biometric Information, Assurant does not store or transmit biometric information, but some Assurant mobile applications allow you to use the biometric logins such as fingerprints or facial recognition that you have established on your mobile device to access our applications.
- Internet or network activity information, such as IP address, browsing history, and information regarding your interaction with Assurant or non-Assurant websites, mobile applications, or advertisements.
- Geolocation data, such as device location, including precise geolocation where necessary to provide the product or service (including application) you requested or downloaded and as disclosed to you as part of that product or service purchase.
- Audio, electronic, visual and similar information, such as call and video recordings.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as current or prior employer and related work information (such as periods of employment).
- Education information, such as student records and directory information.
- Inferences drawn from any of the above to create a summary about, for example, an individual’s preferences and characteristics. However, this information is not used for solely automated decision making. See the section “No Profiling” below.
- Sensitive Information which includes social security, driver’s license, state identification card or passport number, precise geolocation, racial or ethnic origin, to the extent noted above. In
addition, with respect to certain mobile device services we provide, we may access the following information on your mobile device (but only with your consent and only as needed to provide the service): Contact lists, SMS messages,
call logs, photos, videos, saved files or other documents, and music lists. Remote technical support services of certain devices may involve screen or camera sharing capabilities. When the support session is over, we do not retain
information seen on such screens.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect personal information from:
- individuals directly, or from other individuals, agents or companies acting on their behalf.
- our affiliates and subsidiaries.
- public records or widely available sources, including information from records and information made available by federal, state, or local government entities.
- credit bureaus.
- companies with whom we have a business relationship, and from whom you have purchased a product or service that makes you eligible for an Assurant product or service.
- other companies and organizations, such as our advertising agency partners, recruiters, social media networks, data brokers, insurance carriers and other service providers (including entities that assist us with fraud prevention, underwriting, data analytics, and marketing).
- your computer system or mobile device when you visit our websites or use our mobile applications.
We may combine information we collect with information obtained from other sources.
How Long We Keep Personal Information
The amount of time we retain a particular category of personal information will vary depending on the purpose for which it was collected, our business need for it, and our legal obligations with respect to it. We retain your personal information for the time needed to fulfill the purpose for which that information was collected and to adhere to our policies on keeping records. Our retention policies reflect applicable statutes of limitation periods and legal requirements. When we destroy your personal information, we do so in a way that prevents that information from being restored or reconstructed.
Why We Collect Personal Information and How We Use It
The purposes for which we collect and use personal information depend on our relationship or interaction with you. We use personal information for the following business purposes:
|Purposes for Collection and Use||Examples|
|To provide products and services|
|Support our operations, including to meet risk, legal, and compliance requirements|
|Manage, analyze, improve, and develop our business|
Assurant does not collect, use, or disclose sensitive personal information other than as permitted by law or with your consent (where required).
Assurant does not use personal information to evaluate, analyze or predict personal aspects related to an individual’s economic situation, health, preferences, interests, reliability, behavior, location or movements, or performance at work, which is also known as profiling, in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects solely through an automated process that do not require final review and decision by a human.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Others
In the past twelve (12) months, we have disclosed personal information included under the categories listed above for our business purposes to:
- Regulators, law enforcement and other government entities;
- Our affiliates and subsidiaries;
- Vendors who provide services to us;
- Entities who provide Targeted Advertising services or through which we purchase target ads;
- Business partners, clients, agents, and brokers;
- Credit bureaus;
- Researchers (such as for actuarial or research studies) and professional advisers (such as lawyers and accountants); and
- In connection with a sale or transfer of all or part of our business.
Assurant does not sell or disclose personal information for money or other valuable consideration. However, as is common practice among businesses that operate Internet websites and mobile apps, within the past twelve (12) months, we may have shared certain identifiers such as email addresses and pseudonymized identifiers, information about the use of our websites and apps, and inferences drawn about you to our social media, advertising, and analytics partners for data analytics and Targeted Advertising purposes.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from, or knowingly market products or services to, any person under the age of 16. We do not disclose personal information of individuals we know to be under the age of 16 to third parties for Targeted Advertising.
Our websites and mobile applications may use various technologies, including cookies, tokens, tags, web logs, web beacons, widgets, plug-ins, scripts, chat and chatbots, and web server logs to automatically gather information about you and about your use of the Services (collectively, “Data Technologies”). A "cookie" is a text file that websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor's browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A "web beacon" also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages or apps to web servers and may be used to transmit information back to a web server.
We may combine information received from the Data Technologies about visitors to our website or use this information to enable certain features of our services. This information may include demographic data, technical information about the technology (e.g., phone, computer) you use to connect to the online services, web browser information, your IP address, geolocation of your mobile device, and browsing behavior such as pages visited and how often they are visited.
We allow service providers and third-party companies to use Data Technologies to collect the information described above and to track browsing activity over time and across third-party websites, such as web browsers used, which websites are referring traffic or linking to our online services, to support data analytics or, in some instances, to deliver targeted advertisements to you. We do not control these third-party technologies, and their use of such technologies is governed by their own privacy policies. For example, we use certain products from Google for analytics and advertising purposes. You can learn more about Google’s privacy practices with respect to analytics and advertising services by clicking here.
The types of cookies on our websites fall into any one of the following categories:
- “Strictly Necessary” cookies are necessary for the website or application to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms.
- “Functional” cookies enable the website or application to provide enhanced functionality and personalization based on your interaction with the website or application. These cookies also allow us to track analytics by counting visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our websites and applications. They may be set by us or by service providers (e.g. Google) to help us to know which pages or content are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the website or application.
- “Advertising” cookies may be set by us or through our websites and applications by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant advertisements on other websites. You may disable these types of cookies. Only some of our websites and applications utilize Advertising cookies. For those that do, you will be given the option to opt-out of the placement of this type of cookie on your device. Refer to the section of this Notice titled “Your Targeted Advertising Options”.
The length of time cookies will stay on your device will depend on whether it is a “persistent” or “session” cookie. A persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiration date, unless deleted by you before the expiration date. A session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of your web session, when the web browser is closed.
Email and Text Communications
We may also use Data Technologies to determine whether you have read, clicked on, or forwarded certain email or text communications we send to you so that we can make our communications more helpful and interesting.
You can unsubscribe from our emails or text messages by following the instructions in the email or text communications you receive from us or, if you are a registered subscriber, you can update your communication preferences at any time by contacting us.
Your Targeted Advertising Options
We partner with third parties to provide advertising services that are targeted based on your online activities across websites, mobile apps, and devices over time (referred to as “Targeted Advertising”).
When you visit our websites or mobile applications, we or third parties may place cookies and other Data Technologies on your device to enable us to send you Targeted Advertising both on our websites and on third party websites.
Regarding cookies, including Advertising cookies, the preference you select is limited to the website for which you’ve made the preference selection and does not apply to other sites or any other pages. In addition, third party advertisers may use and disclose information gathered through Data Technologies for their own purposes, subject to their own privacy policies. Several advertisers participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance, and you can opt-out of the delivery of Targeted Advertising to you by the participating advertisers by visiting: https://youradchoices.com/pmc
To prevent Targeted Advertising by or on behalf of Assurant you may:
- Click the link titled “Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information” on the website homepage.
- Opt-out of certain Data Technologies by managing your preferences in the website’s cookie manager preference center.
- Use a Do Not Track Signal. To the extent required by law, Assurant will honor signals that you have enabled that communicate your choice to opt-out of Advertising cookies.
We may use the following third parties for Targeted Advertising purposes:
Meta (formerly Facebook)
Beachfront Media LLC
Lotame Solutions, Inc.
Nielsen Marketing Cloud
Simplifi Holdings, Inc.
Sovrn Holdings, Inc.
If you opt-out of Targeted Advertising, you may still see advertisements from Assurant, but these ads are not based on our tracking of your internet browsing activity across third-party websites.
Your Privacy Rights
Under certain state laws, you may have the following rights:
Right to Know: the right to request we disclose to you the following:
- Whether we are processing personal information about you.
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we collected the personal information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting, sharing, and using personal information about you.
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclosed personal information about you.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
Right to Correct: the right to request that we correct inaccurate personal information that we maintain about you.
Right to Delete: the right to request that we delete personal information we, or an entity acting on our behalf, collected about you.
Right to Opt-out of the Sale or Sharing of Personal Information: We do not sell your personal information for valuable consideration. When we share your personal information for Targeted Advertising, you have the right to opt-out of such sharing. If the Assurant website or mobile application you interact with uses Data Technologies for Targeted Advertising, a “Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information ” link or button will be present.
We will not discriminate against any consumer who exercises any of their privacy rights found under this Notice by denying a good or service, charging a different price or providing a different level of quality or service. However, we may charge a consumer a different price or rate or provide a different level or quality of goods or services to the consumer, if that difference is reasonably related to the value provided to the business by the consumer’s data. Also note that certain choices, such as disabling cookies, may prevent you from using certain features on our websites.
How to Exercise Your Privacy Rights
You may exercise your privacy request rights by:
Completing the online form available at: https://www.assurant.com/dataprotection/consumer-page
You must provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person who is the subject of the rights request, or such person’s authorized representative. We use a service provider to assist with identity verification and, as required or permitted by law, we may take steps to verify your identity prior to granting you access to information or acting on your request to exercise your rights. We may limit our response to your exercise of your rights as permitted under applicable law.
You may designate an authorized agent to request any of the above rights on your behalf. You may make such a designation by providing the agent with written permission, signed by you, to act on your behalf. If an agent makes a request on your behalf, as permitted by law, we may require verification of the agent’s authorization to act on your behalf, require you to confirm you have authorized the agent to act on your behalf, or require you to verify your own identity. This may include, but is not limited to, a notarized financial/general power of attorney, court order, or official proof of guardianship.
Upon receiving your request, we will confirm receipt within ten (10) business days and respond to a verifiable consumer request within the timeframe and in the format required by relevant law.
If we are unable to honor your request, we will provide you with a written explanation of the reason(s). You have the right to contact us in writing if you wish to appeal our decision and we will provide you with a written response.
Assurant’s record-keeping details as required under applicable privacy law are available here: https://www.assurant.com/dataprotection/usa/ccpa-metrics
Protection of Personal Information
We use administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your personal information and take reasonable steps to securely destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it. Despite these measures, we cannot guarantee the security of networks, servers, and databases over the Internet. Therefore, although we work to safeguard your privacy, we cannot promise, and you should not expect, that personal information or communications you transmit via the Internet are guaranteed to remain secure.
The Assurant privacy practices described in this Notice comply with the APEC Cross Border Privacy Rules System. The APEC CBPR system provides a framework for organizations to ensure protection of Personal Information transferred among participating APEC economies. More information about the APEC framework can be found here.
Updates to this Notice
We may modify this Notice from time to time. When we make material changes to this Notice, we will post a link to the revised Notice on the homepage of our website. You can tell when this Notice was last updated by looking at the “Last updated” date at the top of this Notice. Any changes to our Notice will become effective upon posting of the revised Notice.