The spirit of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion has always been deeply rooted at Assurant, but what transpired over this last year to advance our DEI goals has been nothing short of powerful. It's all due to our shared dedication to doing what's right, funneling from our core values of Common Decency and Common Sense.
At Assurant, we aim to mirror the world around us. We celebrate our culture, which is as diverse in perspectives and experiences as those we serve, and use our collective strength to fuel innovation, serve our communities and be the best workplace for our employees.
We have focused our commitment to building a stronger Assurant through a more diverse, equitable and inclusive culture, and made it real through programming, learning, recruiting and charitable giving.
Our DEI Strategy guides us and is accelerating the way we foster diverse thoughts and experiences. It defines and directs our path toward reflecting the communities we live in while deepening our understanding of each other. This fosters collaboration as we work together to solve problems and serve our customers.
Today, our commitment to fostering a welcoming culture for all is more important than ever and continues to be a core focus area at Assurant. A diverse, equitable and inclusive Assurant helps us better understand and connect with our employees, clients and customers.
As our DEI initiatives continue to advance, I’m honored to benchmark our accomplishments and applaud the progress we’ve made within the past year.
Assurant Diversity Equity and Inclusion Benchmarks
In 2021, we created a tremendous opportunity for us to see our work and the world through the broader lens of diversity individually, collectively and experientially.
"We embraced the belief that diversity is who we are, all of us. We listened and learned from many of our employees to understand what their heritage means to themselves, personally and the impact it has on their role at Assurant."
— Alecia Bailey, Global Head of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We created spaces for conversations from several different perspectives that covered various topics across the workforce, workplace and marketplace:
- Launched a Diverse Slate & Interview Team: In 2021, we made it a requirement for Assurant to assess pay grade and opportunities for U.S. open roles
- Introduced diverse slates in our interviewing processes for senior roles
- Raised the hourly pay rate to a minimum of $15 for U.S. employees
- Established dedicated resources within the Talent Acquisition teams to support sourcing and recruiting efforts for open positions
- Facilitated required DEI training for all managers and individual contributors, focused on managing with inclusion and introducing unconscious bias
- Continued to promote engagement through Courageous Conversations virtual panels and employee communication spotlights. (Our latest live panel on disability inclusion brought together nearly 2,000 employees across 22 countries in October 2021.)
- Recognized various historic and cultural observances and amplified impactful, authentic employee stories
- Launched a resource hub for DEI
- Hosted our first native language program during Latin and Hispanic Heritage Month to celebrate Latin and Hispanic culture
- Soft-launched our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), starting with Women@Assurant, as Assurant’s global workforce is 60% women
- Expanded the Upward Mentorship Program in Global Housing
- Supported the creation of formal business-specific networks: Women in Finance, UNITE (Women in IT), Women in Europe, Women in Law, etc.
- Continued to partner with the Assurant Foundation to support social justice, anti-racism causes and people with disabilities. We also increased our DEI market presence through strategic partnerships
- Awarded about $17 million to diverse-owned businesses through our Supplier D&I program, far exceeding our initial goal of $5 million for the year
- Collaborated with and leveraged strategic external partners to provide talent development opportunities to 20+ employees through organizations like:
- Received the following recognitions and more as the result of sound DEI practices:
- A perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index for the 3rd consecutive year, designating Assurant as a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality
- The Mortgage Bankers Association DEI Award
- The American Property Casualty Insurance Association Award
- Placement on the 2021 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index
- Named by Forbes as a Best Employer for Diversity/Best for Women
- Recognition by JPMorgan Chase as a Gold Supplier and partner to drive improvements in supplier diversity
Our Continued Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Assurant
I’ve always been passionate about creating opportunity and uplifting others, particularly members of underrepresented communities. When I started the Upward Mentorship Program three years ago, my mission was to give employees the opportunity to develop and learn while connecting with the cross-functional leaders who act as mentors.
I’ve also been dedicated to supporting Junior Achievement and the Rankin Foundation, which provides scholarships and support for low-income women ages thirty-five and older to build better lives through post-secondary education. In my new role, I welcome the chance to expand Assurant’s DEI efforts worldwide.
"I am inspired by the important work we have ahead of us as we commit to strengthening our DEI efforts. We’ll continue to strive toward a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture that celebrates our differences and drives sustainable innovation for the benefit of all our stakeholders."
—Alecia Bailey, Global Head of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
What's Ahead for Assurant's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Program
From the momentum created throughout 2021, I am proud to continue to advance our efforts, focusing on our workforce, workplace and marketplace DEI strategy pillars while enhancing our content globally to increase the inclusion of our employee
We will continue to put our people and their professional and personal development first, focusing on education, mentorships and continued conversations. We will broaden our focus on the progression of women in leadership at Assurant, reframing strategic partnerships to support global talent development and recruiting efforts.
How to Get Involved
Everyone has a role in our efforts toward strengthening DEI at Assurant, from our employees and customers to our suppliers and partners. We each have a responsibility for our success, so it’s important we all make the commitment. By equipping
everyone to learn, using curiosity as our guide and leading by example, we will continue to create forums for ongoing conversations that invite differences of thought and empower everyone to get involved.
Through these collective efforts and getting a bit more comfortable being uncomfortable, we will engage in new programs and initiatives that foster collaboration to help us become a more diverse, equitable and inclusive Assurant. This inclusive
“we” will invite new perspectives, differences and possibilities as we grow and evolve our business for the future.
I’m inspired by the important work we have ahead of us and I appreciate your support as we commit to strengthening our DEI efforts.
I want to thank all our employees and partners for their efforts in building a stronger Assurant as we bring our DEI commitment to life.