Funding supports community programs that address hunger, homelessness and health and wellness issues for at-risk children and youth
MILWAUKEE, Jan. 29, 2015 – Assurant Health, through the Assurant Foundation, today announces grants and sponsorships totaling $240,000 to eight local agencies that address hunger, homelessness, and health and wellness for at-risk children and youth in the Milwaukee community.
“Assurant Health has a long history of charitable giving, and as a large employer in Milwaukee, we are proud of the positive contributions we can make to assist those who are less fortunate in our community,” said Adam Lamnin, president and chief executive officer of Assurant Health and Assurant Employee Benefits. “We are honored to partner with these eight agencies, as they play an important role in supporting the Milwaukee community.”
One of the agencies, Guest House of Milwaukee, Inc., provides shelter, housing, education and services for Milwaukee’s homeless to seek to transform their lives with dignity and purpose.
“Single men still remain the largest segment of the homeless population in Milwaukee, and Guest House provides a new beginning for a majority of them,” said Cindy Krahenbuhl, executive director of Guest House. “This generous grant from the Assurant Foundation will support the GATES Housing First program to move homeless men as quickly as possible into stable housing.”
With a mission focused on providing a “home away from home,” Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin is dedicated to easing the burden of families whose lives have been disrupted as a result of their child’s illness or injury.
“This grant from the Assurant Foundation will provide funding for the Ronald McDonald House to continue to provide a safe and comfortable place for families of sick children to stay and programs that support the wellbeing of each child,” said Ann Petrie, president and CEO of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin. “Since opening our doors in 1984, we’ve provided stays to more than 35,000 families from 568 Wisconsin communities, every state in the nation and 26 foreign countries who stay as long as needed without any financial obligation. Corporate donors like Assurant Health ensure our doors remain open to all and we are very grateful for their generous support.”
The grant recipients are:
- Guest House, $50,000 for the GATES Housing First program for homeless men.
- Hunger Task Force, $50,000 for infant formula and milk to feed infants and children up to age 2, for one year.
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission, $50,000 to feed and shelter 100 women and children for a month.
- Pathfinders, Inc., $40,000 to support a drop-in center that provides activities and a safe haven for homeless teens.
- Penfield Children’s Center, $20,000 to improve behavioral health for at-risk children under 6 years old.
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, $10,000 sponsorship to the Dave and Carole Miracle Marathon radiothon, which provides funding to support vital programs and services available through Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.
- PEARLS for Teen Girls, $10,000 in support of teen pregnancy prevention, wellness and health initiatives of the agency.
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin, $10,000 to aid in their mission to provide a “home away from home” for families whose lives have been disrupted as a result of their child’s illness or injury.
About the Assurant Foundation
Established three decades ago by Assurant, Inc., a specialty insurance provider, The Assurant Foundation provides financial assistance to charitable organizations to help improve the quality of life in the communities where we live and work. The Assurant Foundation’s charitable giving focuses on health and wellness, homes and property, and local hometown help in the communities Assurant serves.
Assurant Health is the brand name for a family of health insurance products focused on providing choice and flexibility in health care coverage to individuals, families and small employers. The portfolio of health insurance products includes major medical, short-term medical and supplemental plans. Assurant Health is committed to providing access to convenient health care delivery, easy-to-understand products and value-added services that help customers better manage their health care dollars. Assurant Health's products are underwritten and issued by John Alden Life Insurance Company, Union Security Life Insurance Company and Time Insurance Company, which has been in business since 1892. More information about Assurant Health is at www.assuranthealth.com.
Assurant Health is part of Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 17,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.
Assurant Health Vice President—Communication